Sunday, May 9, 2010

Unconditional "Mother Love"

Today is Mother's Day, and I celebrate "Mother Love". It is that unconditional, nurturing love that sees the good in us, it helps us remember our attributes and what we are capable of. Those who have that kind of love from their mothers or others are fortunate, because it is the kind of love and acceptance that makes us better. Let's face it, everyone does not feel that kind of love from their mother, or from the world at large. Sometimes, a mother's love is about their own need to control, or need to feed their own ego.

I raised my children in a wonderful "family friendly" area - where people strove to be the most that they could be, to attain and obtain the best. It was a place where parents were involved in the lives of their children in a big way. In that sense, it was a very nice place to raise kids. But with that also comes the tendency toward "helicopter parenting" that needs to control and maneuver in order to make sure their kids "get ahead"...or the parents whose own egos are put upon the shoulders of their offspring. I will admit it can become contagious. As a parent, I sometimes fell into that trap, of expecting from my children what others expected of theirs, of sometimes trying to make them something they were not, all from the worry that if they didn't do something in the normal way or through a certain path that they would not thrive. I was never really at home in that place, nor were my kids entirely, because something inside told me it did not fit - yet it took me a long time to recognize and declare it.

Within the last few years, I have had many spiritual experiences that reminded me of not only my true nature, but that of my sons. And even though I sometimes wish I could do it over again in raising them, and adjust accordingly, I realize that it is never too late to make those adjustments. I have relearned how to read my sons, how to tune in to who they are rather than who the world says they should be. In my appreciation for my own growth and reconnection to my soul, I am trying to help them find their true selves, blaze their own paths - whether those be conventional ones, or not so conventional. I know that I do not want them to fall into cookie-cutter existences, so I am encouraging a path that might go against the norm. I know that at their young 20's ages, they too are bombarded with pressures of who and where they are supposed to be in their lives, so I try to impart upon them the courage to be different, to be true to themselves, to find their own path and follow their own calling.

Chinese spiritual philosopher Lao Tzu, said,
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."

Whether we are male or female, childless or with many offspring, the greatest gift that we can give as "mothers," to our own children and to the world at large, is the gift to be themselves...to love, accept, appreciate, and celebrate individuality in the world. When we give up the need for others to do things our way or see things as we do, we are giving unconditional love, we are giving "Mother Love" and birthing a better world. We are all aware of a loving mother's ability to heal - to make the hurt go away - and we can give that healing daily to those around us - to strangers on the street - and heal them through our compassion and acceptance. If you do not feel unconditional love from those around you, love yourself unconditionally - see your good, celebrate your uniqueness.

Share the Mother Love today. Feel the difference it makes around you. What you put out will be returned to you.

Happy Mother's Day to all those who share their Mother Love with the world!

2 comments:

Marion said...

This is such an amazing post...I sometimes, when I'm in a self-critical mood, want to go back and raise my children all over again.

But it is what it is and all I can do now is realize that who they have become is wonderful, whatever my feelings on it may be. My children had the courage to follow their hearts and I am so grateful for it, since I followed a road that was expected of me and not one I really wanted. They are much happier as a result.

Happy Mother's Day, Sherri!

Sherri said...

Thank you, Marion...and Happy Mother's Day to you too! I hope you are well :)